A market development approach, or MDA, offers a response to declining funding levels for HIV prevention and family planning efforts. MDA – also referred to as market shaping, markets for the poor, and market systems approach – focuses on systemic fixes to a country's health market.
Course Description & Learning Objectives: Participants were introduced to concepts, tools, and guidance on the use of MDA in building sustainable markets for health services and products. They used live market data, case studies, and guest speakers to apply concepts to countries and programs. The course used condom markets to present case studies and examples, but managers from other health areas can benefit.
Come ready to participate! Readings, case studies, application of live market-specific data, and interactive engagement will bring concepts to life.
Who Will Benefit? USAID managers, advisors, and professionals from headquarters or country programs who support HIV prevention and family planning programs. Professionals can apply course materials in areas such as HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis; HIV self-testing kits; water, sanitation, and hygiene; nutrition; maternal and child health; and more.
Cost & Location: No costs are associated with the course. You will need reliable internet service.
Duration & Commitment: The course will take place from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. ET, over three consecutive Wednesdays: October 18, October 25, and November 1. Approximately one and a half to two hours of reading and other work will be assigned each week. Optional resources, including case studies and best practice approaches, will be provided each week. We are hoping to secure continuous learning points through this class.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2017
Below are course materials for the Market Development Approaches for Prevention Interventions: An e-Learning Series.
- MDA e-learning participant course outline (syllabus) [DOC, 361KB]
Week 1 and 2: October 18 and 25
- Detailed Guidance: Condom Market landscaping tools [PDF, 932KB]
- Tool #1: Comprehensive Condom Indicators [XLS, 83KB]
- Tool #2: Key Informant Interview Guide [DOC, 71KB]
- Tool #3: Condom Market Landscaping Guidance [DOC, 90KB]
- Tool #4: Value Chain Analysis Questionnaire [DOC, 37KB]
- Tool #5: Data Analysis and Charts [XLS, 118KB]
- Tool #6: Condom Needs Estimate: UNAIDS Condom Fast Track Tool [XLS, 6.1MB]
- Tool #7: Market Structure Format (sample) [PPT, 73KB]
Week 3: November 1
Additional Reading for Week 3:
- Botswana Condom Market Case Study [PDF, 153 KB)
- Cameroon Condom Market Case Study [PDF, 129 KB)
- Nigeria Condom Market Case Study [PDF, 171 KB)
- Uganda Condom Market Case Study [PDF, 200 KB)
Reading for Week 3: