To ensure staff are able to:
- Select appropriate locations/facilities to serve as VMMC service delivery sites.
- Develop shared understanding, ownership, and support among the facility management, administration, VMMC program staff, and the community.
- Prepare the site for launch of VMMC services that meet the minimum WHO/UNAIDS, PEPFAR, and national standards.
- Ensure a smooth start-up of new VMMC services.
- Reinforce the knowledge, attitudes, and skills of new VMMC teams, and ensure that they have the necessary confidence, skills, and systems to provide quality services.
What Users Need to Know
Before starting VMMC implementation, it is critical to ensure that appropriate facilities/locations are selected to serve as VMMC service delivery sites. Selected sites must be able to provide all components of the VMMC minimum package of services [WHO Manual for Male Circumcision under Local Anesthesia, 2nd edition] and meet other criteria set and agreed upon by stakeholders in the country [See Site Selection Criteria Tool]. Site selection is followed by a careful assessment of the site’s ability to perform the full VMMC minimum package of services [See Site Readiness and Preparation Tool]. Site staff are responsible for ensuring availability of all resources, including the definition of roles and responsibilities for all staff [See Site Action Plan Tool]. Once VMMC services begin, assessments of quality through external quality assessment (EQA) and continuous quality improvement (CQI) [See EQA Instruments and CQI Self Assessment Tool], should commence immediately and occur on a regular schedule for as long as clients are receiving VMMC services at the site (Tables 2.1. and 2.2.). Table 2.1 depicts the sequence of steps leading to the first day of service delivery and Table 2.2 shows the relative timing of these early activities in the overall scheme of site operations.
Tools, Instruments, and Guidance Documents
- WHO Manual for Male Circumcision under Local Anesthesia, 2nd edition
- Site Selection Criteria Tool
- Site Action Plan Tool
- Site Readiness and Preparation Tool
- EQA Instruments
- CQI Self-Assessment Tool
- Male Circumcision Waste Management Plan
- Site Assessment Tool
- SCMS E-catalog (including male circumcision kit options)
- VMMC Service Site Preparation Planning Template
- Considerations for Implementing Models for Optimizing the Volume and Efficiency of Male Circumcision Services (MOVE)
To read more about the frequently referenced information, additional information, and to read related case studies download the chapter PDF.
Download Chapter 2 (PDF, 2 MB)