This strategy articulates how the Strengthening High Impact Interventions for an AIDS-free Generation (AIDSFree) project will advance the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) gender strategic areas at global and country levels by meaningfully addressing gender inequalities to achieve better HIV prevention, care and treatment outcomes. PEPFAR's gender strategic areas include:
- Provide gender-equitable HIV prevention, care, treatment, and support.
- Implement gender-based violence (GBV) prevention services and provide services for post -GBV care.
- Implement activities to change harmful gender norms and promote positive gender norms.
- Promote gender-related policies and laws that increase legal protection.
- Increase gender-equitable access to income and productive resources, including education.
AIDSFree recognizes that addressing harmful gender norms and gender inequality affects the cascade of HIV prevention, treatment and care services that are essential to reducing HIV risk for everyone. Therefore, gender norms need to be considered across the project's strategies and approaches both at and between each point of service.